21 October 2008

Back to the drawing board

Oh well. Our annual trek to Tony Packo's is off this year.

Rod has a gig that night and it just wouldn't be fun without him. (And the logistics could be pretty scary now that we're down to one car.)

So now I am looking for something for Jack and I to do on the evening of October 31. Finding any place to go or anything to do where we would be allowed to ignore Halloween seems pretty improbable at this short notice, so I guess we'll just borrow some movies from the library, close the gate, and stay home watching movies and eating popcorn. I know Jack would like that -- and we are almost finished with Peter Pan and I'm pretty sure that's been made into a movie. He also saw a preview for Fly Away Home that intrigued him...actually, back to back movies till Dad gets home would be his idea of the perfect evening.

I am tempted, though, to darken the house and take Rod's laptop into the back bedroom where the lights won't be visible from the street, so we don't have kids opening the gate to knock on the door. And then again, I hate feeling like I'm "hiding" in my own home. That's why I have traditionally gone somewhere.

Halloween is everywhere and those of us who don't want to deal with it are seen as worse than the Grinch. Why is that? Believe it or not, people sometimes get positively hostile when it comes up that we don't celebrate Halloween, and even those who don't get hostile urge me to reconsider. I don't understand. Why does it matter? We don't celebrate Diwali, or Ramadan, or Easter either Nor Cinco de Mayo, Crayfish Day (Kräftskiva), or the Queen's Birthday. We have our own holidays and we're perfectly happy with them. This isn't one of ours, we don't want to participate, why isn't that OK?

On the brighter side, it has proven to be a great time to add to Jack's dress-up clothes collection inexpensively. You've seen his knight suit -- and we found a baseball helmet for $2 the other day, so it's not all bad.

4 comments:

  1. Being different is usually seen as a somewhat not good thing.
    You're breaking the mold.

    I'm surprised that people will knock on your door even if the porch light isn't on.
    That's usually the sign that you're "open for business."

    I'm sure that you and Jack will find something wonderful and fun to do that night.
    I think the idea of staying home and popping popcorn and watching movies is a great idea!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having never heard of Crayfish Day I had to look it up.

    "It is customary on this day to make paper crayfish and put them in purple cardboard boxes. It is said that if 1000 paper crayfish are made and put in a single purple cardboard box, then you will have a lot of paper crayfish in a box. "

    You can borrow my van or the finished basement with its big screen TV if you want. Just not both, the van doesn't fit down the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got more Peter Pan for you...
    ...there's a book that came out recently that's VERY different from all the others.
    Click my name to see!

    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meegan, you may well be right. I don't have a problem with being different. I don't even have a problem with people being unhappy with me if I get in their face with my differences -- but my goodness I get irritated when they can't just leave me alone.

    Mark, thanks for pointing out my omission - -I added a link to karaftskiva just for you! ;) I think we're going to end up staying home and watching movies, but you offer is very kind!

    Thanks for the tip, Peter! Yours sounds like a very interesting take on Neverland...but maybe a shade too intense for a five year old. ;)

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!