21 November 2008

The making of Santa...

As I think I mentioned at some point, Jack's beloved Miss Karen offered to make him a Santa suit, since he's outgrown last year's elf suit (and declared himself "too big" to be an elf now).

I had no idea I would learn so much!

First, Karen started with a measuring tape, a roll of paper, and a wriggling boy and showed me how to create a pattern.
Next, we used the paper pattern to make a muslin mock up to make sure it was going to fit. We just pinned it and make sure it would fit, but I will sew it together this weekend to try my hand at sewing and then Jack and I will decorate the coat into some other costume for his collection.
Meanwhile, none of this (other than being measured) was very interesting to a young man who wasn't allwoed to use the sewing machine or the circle cutter or the pins. Jack is pretty much used to being able to work alongside me whatever I'm doing. (One advantage of a low tech lifestyle) and he was very frustrated to keep hearing "no".

So, thanks to Stephanie, I had a GREAT idea! Jack and I made mittens for the grandmothers from the Santa suit scraps! (Now we can hope our Grandma and Mormor don't stop by here before these arrive in the mail!)

(Thanks, Stephanie -- this isn't the only great idea I'm borrowing for gifts this year -- you are amazing!)

Jack is sure that his need to hang from the fingertips. I will grant him that it looks pretty -- but I have to figure out how to get the ribbon in now... I am happy to put the ribbon at the wrist after I stuff it.

Of course, all this is taking a lot of crafting time and so my cards are falling way behind -- one more week: yikes! But we're having a blast! I will try to get some action photos next week when we get together to (I hope) finish the costume. (Karen is, believe it or not, making SANTA BOOTS! for the costume!! Wow!)

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for an award!!! I love reading what other families are doing and the blogs that I choose all have such great insight, events and ideas!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I dunno how I missed this one! I read them as soon as you post, so...
    :/
    Anyway - yours are beautiful!!
    And thanks so much for the mention!
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!