14 January 2008

How My Boys Spend Their Days

Noticing has evolved since I last participated last autumn.

I had read about spending hours outdoors with kids every day and how good that is for them physically and emotionally, but I'll have to admit that I was perplexed about what one would do out there for hours when there was no gardening to do.

Lucky for Jack, Rod spent much of his early life close to the land and as his health has returned it has come naturally to him to spend time out of doors with Jack. When I inquired about what they do, he said something vague about "just potzing around". I wasn't sure what that meant. So, on Saturday, after I finished with my chores, I joined the boys in their noticing.





Now I know what Rod meant by "potzing". It *is* hard to describe. In the most general sense, I suppose one could call it "tidying up". Sticks and branches that had been blown down in recent storms are collected and tossed onto the main rabbit warren. Dead trees and bushes are pulled up to make room for more growth. But leaf buds are inspected and all kinds of interesting things are examined, and it's amazing how fast the time passes with "nothing happening".

I was left with a sense of deep, deep contentment that has lasted another two days.

I am so lucky to have Rod in my life. I am full of "good ideas", but without Rod, I would have no idea how to manifest them. Jack is a very fortunate boy to have his Dad to learn from!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!