10 July 2008

My crazy baby boy...

...has decided that rather than any of the 20 books in our bedtime stack,
he wants to read a book he found on Dad's nightstand, instead.

He tells me he's very excited to read this adults' book!

"It's about a child."

He knows this because he started it on his own when he found it, but he has too many questions to read it alone.

The book? Yon Ill Wind, by Piers Anthony.

Anthony doesn't shy away from much, so last night's editing on the fly was...interesting.

The crazy little boy listened with rapt attention, with many pauses for questions and definitions, to an entire chapter. That's about twice or three times as long as the average book aimed at children.

We may actually finish it -- though at three hundred pages, that will take three times as long as his usual books - - and as I say, Anthony isn't writing for five year olds. It could get too intense for a sensitive little boy at some point.

I wonder whether I could convince him to switch to A Spell for Chameleon ... that was is a lot sillier and I think the plot would be a lot easier for him to comprehend.

(But..but...we haven't finished our Little House on the Prairie books yet!)

1 comment:

  1. How can Laura Ingles Wilder compare to Piers Anthony in a young boy's world? ;) I loved A Spell for Chameleon... though I agree that *certain parts* shouldn't fall on young ears, lol. I can't wait until my four year old has enough attention to sit and listen to longer stories; I'll probably start with The Magic Kingdom series, or the Young Wizards series, though:)

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!