13 June 2007

Progress...finally!

I have been craving exercise for several years now. I have made sporadic attempts to work some in to my daily routine, but the problem has been...time. There never seems to be any.

For a while, I was attending a gym of sorts. I liked the Contours workout a lot -- but the really obnoxious weight loss message screamed in my face the entire time I was there. I hated that! And Rod and Jack started to feel really neglected after six months of my working out for an hour after work, three days a week. We don't get that much time together as it is and that extra hour was a lot. So, I quit.

And just as I was getting into a walking routine each summer, fall and cold would set in and I'd give up. *sigh*

My mother has been walking for 45 minutes every morning for something like 30 years. I have known that -- but until recently I wasn't aware of just how much that habit has done for her. When she came to visit last year, I saw her ahead of us at the airport and tried hard to catch up. I was amazed as I chased her across the airport that there was just no way I could catch her until she stopped! (And I don't think of myself as especially out of shape -- I leave many of my friends 'in the dust" when we walk together.)

This year when she came to visit, I was again impressed with Mom's non-stop energy and I was determined to start a routine that I could continue so *I* can have that level of vitality 20 years from now.

When Mom left, I took a good look at my life and figured out that my best bet for walking was to take time at work. For the last several weeks, I have been walking at lunchtime. My employer, conveniently, has a half-mile track laid out in the parking lots, so I am able to get in a good long walk safely.

Now a part of the problem with sticking to a walking routine has always been boredom...walking alone is boring unless I am walking to a destination and there are things to see as I walk. Walking with someone means that when they poop out, I lose a lot of my own incentive.

Another ongoing frustration has been my inability to find time to read. I *love* to read! But there simply hasn't been time since Jack was born. (It doesn't help that Rod sees me picking up a book as a sign of desperate boredom, and being a gallant soul, he always comes to my rescue and comes to chat with me as soon as I pick up a book. Once i give up and put the book down, we wanders off, his job here done.

So...I have been walking this nice flat track every day and reading! Hurrah!! I have finished two books and am starting on a third -- my densest reading rate since Jack was born! And I am up to a little over 10 miles per week for several weeks now...

Happily, there is an "indoor track", so I can probably transfer my walking circuit indoors when the weather is rainy or cold -- though that's a quarter mile and there3 will be more foot traffic of people coming and going for meetings so reading won't be as easy...

I really hope I can stick with it this time -- and I think that getting a chance to read may be just the incentive I was looking for! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Boy, can I relate, Misti! I spend far too much time behind the computer and not enough moving around. I've started taking the dog for a morning and evening constitutional in the hopes of remedying that, but as you say, there are so many things that get in the way.

    By the way, have I ever told you how much I really like your house? It is SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Kate!

    Good luck on your constitutionals! having a pup to reinforce it must help some. My experience of dogs is that they don't take 'no" very well. ;)

    Glad you like the house, too -- we LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misti, speaking to a dog is much like speaking to a small child in need of discipline: you must mean it. Sasha knows the meaning of the word "no" extremely well and knows it must be obeyed immediately. She also knows what "good girl" means and she'd much rather hear that. She's really very well behaved.

    Now, if I could only teach her to brush out her own coat and not shed. This time of year, she suffers and I suffer. Endless hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *laugh* OK, well, Sasha would be one of very few I know of who is will trained.

    I do know that it's possible to have a well-behaved dog, but people seems to be afraid to discipline either dogs or children these days - and the general behavior of both reflects that.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!