17 August 2008

Heritage Festival Report

We took Jack to the Ypsilanti Heritage festival last night. It was fun.

Sadly, the reasons I enjoyed it were probably not so good for the festival.

The festival was smaller this year, with fewer vendors and far fewer people in attendance. The weather was perfect -- sunny but reasonably cool, and we were able to walk through the whole festival in about two hours, and at no point did I feel anxious about the number of people I needed to dodge. (I have probably mentioned before that I am not keen on large numbers of people in small spaces.) We even made it over to see the heritage reenactments, though Jack was so uninterested and over stimulated that I had to satisfy myself with a quick walk-by. But that was OK. It's the first time I have managed to get over there at all.

Our main reason for attending the festival, though, was that they had scheduled the fireworks show that was rained out on Independence Day for yesterday evening at Frog Island park. We went early and got premo seats right up front of the amphitheater style seating and on a nice high cement step.

As the evening progressed, it became quite an event -- there was a vendor there selling light sticks and flashing jewelry of various kinds and another vendor selling cotton candy (fairy floss). As the sun set, dozens of children ran through the grass playing with their light sticks and each other, and it got wilder as the light grew dimmer.

Once it started to get dark enough that the children looked like streaks of coloured light flying around, we bought a stick for Jack and he joined the fray.

Jack's ability to make friends any time and any place has always astonished me (he must get that from Rod ) and last night was no different. He was in the thick of it from the first moment and before too long, he was leading more charges than not.

But the thing that really got my attention was that Jack was able to run hard and fast for a couple of hours with few pauses and no evident strain! I could never have done that at 5! His stamina was astonishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!