04 August 2008

A year (or three) of endings and loss

OK, as this year has marched on, Rod has mentioned several times that we are having a Pluto experience.

Pluto, who is mythos, is the Lord of the Underworld. The sweetheart who inspired winter when he kidnapped the sweet young Persephone, causing her mother, Demeter, Goddess of lifer and growth, to grieve for a year.

In astrology, Pluto represents death, loss, destruction, and that slow relentless change that we think of as "aging". He rules my house of security and possessions, one reasons I have always had such a quiet and secure life of plenty. . Pluto is a slow mover. In the last 50 years, he has traveled less than half the distance that the moon travels in a month or than the sun travels in a year.

Anyway, I looked at my chart this morning. Sure enough, the household astrologer was right. Pluto is nearing a conjunction with my natal Saturn. In mythos, Saturn is associated with Chronos, or time. In modern culture we would recognize him as the "old man" in the New Year's pictures of the old man and the baby. Saturn represents rules, strictures, limitations, and responsibilities. Another friendly fellow. He rules my house of daily life and routines.

Anyway, in January 2007 Pluto crept up to within whispering distance of my natal Saturn. Then began the adventure with friends being hospitalized, and later so many deaths and so much sense of loss. There he will stay until late January 2011. (I haven't the heart to check that he doesn't go back over the area after that...he often backtracks and has been wandering back and forth over the sensitive spot for the last two years.)

Once it's over, we can find a new "normal".

*sigh* At least I can see the side of the tunnel. Tunnels have an end.

2 comments:

  1. If you believe you will make through the difficult patches - you will!
    I just wanted to let you know that I think your blog is great and I nominated you for an award! The details can be found on my blog! http://fairiemom78.blogspot.com/
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to be careful when we see light at the end of the tunnel, it could be an oncoming train!!

    The "permanent transformation" function of Pluto is as dispassionate as it is relentless.

    We'll make it through this, just the same as we have made it through lots of other big issues. Nobody's promising fun, but Pluto promises improvement for the very brave.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!