01 August 2008

Update

I have managed to walk almost three miles a day almost every day for the last couple of weeks. I'm glad about that. I feel stronger, walk faster, and it makes me hope that I can see my seventies still leaving the youngters in the dust, like my Mom! Or at least able to keep up with jack as long as he needs me to.

Rod and I went to see Dr Sickels lecture about wholistic care of diabetes last night.

He's very good and very up on his research. (It's so amazing to find a doctor who knows as much about the latest research as I do. My current endocrinologist, Dr Chang, does too -- but she's an endo, so it's excellent but less amazing than it is in a Family Physician.)

Dr Sickels mentioned a few herbs and vitamins I could be taking and why they are helpful, so I will add a few more to my morning collection. Even with all thes tress, I have my average blood sugar back down to 5.3, where I like to keep it. (Normal is between 5 and 7, depending. Diabetes goal is "near 7".) I had been up to 8 sometimes just before I went on insulin, even with everything I tried to do, so this is a big relief, but more herbs and vitamins may help me to cut back on the amount of insulin I need and that would be a very good thing.

I have finally gotten copies of First Language lessons and Simply Grammar to check out and decide which one we want to use. They both seem nice, so I may alternate until Jack shows a clear opinion. We have also gotten Minimus Latin -- well, the student book. We can't afford the teachers book, so I will be pressing my high school Latin into service and hoping for the best.

Grace is missing. She escaped on Tuesday morning and we saw her, but couldn't convince her to come in, as late as Wednesday eveing. But all day yesterday there was no sign of her. I'm worried.

I think this may be what depression feels like.

Everything seems overwhelming and I feel too tired to deal with it, but in a very difefrent way than the hypothyroid exhaustion I am more used to. For one thing, I never, ever have trouble sleeping when I need my thyroid dose adjusted. For another, thinking isn't hard and physical exertion actually makes me feel better for a while. Wierd. I don't feel sad, and I guess a part of me had persisted in equating depression with sadness since they look similar. I do feel "wooden" socially, but any sadness is a reaction to the depression and not a part of it.

I know that this is almost certainly a situational depression, and it's not debilitating, so I am taking some St John's Wort in the morning and we'll see what happens.

Time I was gone - - I'd best hit the showers. Sorry about the whining. I hope to post coherently again soon.

3 comments:

  1. Forgive me for this unsolicited comment. I'm a fellow unschooler and I've been reading your blog a few months now. Have you considered raw foods for diabetes? There are some videos and many good (as in cured) results with raw foods and diabetes. I've been eating mostly raw for a few months now and am thrilled with the results in my own physical health. I really REALLY notice a difference when I eat more cooked foods, too. I just felt compelled to share in case it might be something that would work for you. Namaste'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thought, Chasmyn.

    Vegan doesn't work for our family, and though I do eat lots of raw foods all raw makes me pretty sick pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and BTW, I am not really an unschooler. We are going the Classical route (probably Charlotte Mason) once jack is older.

    We have adopted some of the unschooling ideals, but we're old farts and just can't quite get comfortable with the idea that a child knows everything about what his or her education should be.

    We admire the people who can trust ideals that deeply, but...it's not for us.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!