26 August 2010

Home made ketchup - recipe 1

It's tough to find ketchup with no corn ingredients at all, so I was interested in trying to make our own. The recipes are varied like no other recipes I've checked out, so I was a little unsure where to start.

Rod has a very bad flu today, so I decided that today's the day to try the first recipe. It's first, largely because I have these ingredients. ;)

Home made ketchup recipe:
makes one scant quart
32 oz. tomato puree (ours is from the garden, your can be in a can)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup prepared mustard (I wanted 1 tsp dry, but don't have any today)
2 teaspoons smoked salt (plus more to taste)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Penzey's cake spice
2 teaspoons smoked paprika

Whisk together and then simmer on very low heat (under a splatter guard) stirring occasionally for an hour and a half or until there is ketchup sticking to the splatter guard. Be sure to remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before you to try to stir it -- as it thickens, it splatters a lot!

I'll let you know what the ketchup expert (Jack) thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!