15 September 2007

Arrrrgh!

I am so frustrated I could scream!

I have been struggling to get my thyroid levels under control for a couple of years now.

It's not a problem of figuring out what needs to be done -- I had found that dose and was on it for years -- and then my insurance company decided that I need to change medications because they didn't want to pay for the one that works.

After a year on the cheap substitute, I was barely functioning. I had almost no short term memory (that's a great trait to have in the workplace!), half my hair had fallen out, and I was exhausted when I got up in the morning, and it got worse from there.

I struggled to find a doctor who would rewrite the prescription I need for me DAW -- dispense as written, no substitutions.

I thought I had found someone. For a few months all was well -- and then, she called in a change in prescription, halving my dose, without consulting me. Evidently, she also didn't specify DAW.

So when I opened the new bottle the insurance company sent, I found that not only do I have a half a dose (I can always double up if I have to) but it's cheap substitute that doesn't seem to treat my hypothyroid symptoms at all.

Here we go again.

I just should not be this hard to get and stay treated for a disease I have been successfully treated for for this many years when no change has happened in the disease!!!!!

Now I have to scrape up the money to either see the good doctor, who isn't covered by my insurance at all but who knows how these things work, or to throw good money after bad to have an appointment with the doctor (who is barely covered by my insurance) who makes random changes to my medication in the hope that I can argue her into writing the prescription for the correct dose of the correct medications and then not change them again on her next whim.

This is wrong. Just wrong.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. That stinks! My doc insists I just use the name brand and I was fighting her because I'd save money, but I guess she's got a point now that I read your post. I hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Kim, it's rough -- but no, your doctor is correct. Had the name brand not world, the generic would have been worth trying, but if the name brand is working, there is a decent chance that the generic won't. It's really awful to have the meds not working...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be able to call the doctor's office and tell them they prescribed the wrong thing without having to do another visit. At least I can do that with my doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mark. I will try that tomorrow first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not thatyou asked, but... I vote with Markt.

    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Valerie -- I'll be on the phone this morning.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!