10 February 2010

Winter sowing

Winter sowing

I just sent this note...
 
***
 

From: Misti
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:07 AM
To: Valerie
Subject: winter sowing

 

Hey, Valerie!

 

I finally found time to check into winter sowing…this Is *brilliant*!  Thank you!!!!

(I am now digging through my seed catalogs and preparing to have a blast!!!)  :D

 

 

I may get the hang of this gardening thing yet! 

 

J

 

Misti


***
 
This *is* brilliant!  I read up on winter sowing at a site called, oddly enough, http://www.wintersown.org/
 
Winter sowing is, it turns out, entirely in keeping with my world view--go back to the basics and life simplifies itself! 
 
Rod has offered to get me a small seed starter setup as my Valentines gift, and since only seeds that originate in temperate climates can thrive with the winter sowing method, the combination will put me "back in business". 
 
I am *so* excited! 

3 comments:

  1. Cool beans! I haven't tried it, but I really like the idea. If you do try it, I'll be interested to read about how it goes. If I try it, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. john morris wrote:
    Thanks for this information ... I don't think my family, for all its oddities, ever attempted to sew seeds in the middle of January! ... love j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Valerie! Now is the time to start, eh? I have an order ready for Peaceful Valley next week, and I plan to start some old seed as soon as I find a suitable container.

    Hi, John! Yep. It sounds odd all right. Until you think about the fact that seeds sprout on their own all the time. Dandelions, for instance. :p If they can do it when we aren't sheltering them, then it makes sense that with a little husbandry, the ones we want should be OK, too.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!