11 July 2007

Ahhh! The heat finally broke!


I love living out here!

As I went out to empty a vase into the compost, I startled probably 8 or 9 rabbits and maybe 12 or 15 birds!

I love being surrounded by so much life! They all took flight when I came into the back yard, as wild critters do. But by the time I'd walked as far as the compost, they were all back, scattered across the yard doing what critters do in the early morning.

Ahhh, bliss. Especially because the heat broke late last night and the air felt cool and sweet.

The photo above is Jack watering the garden. The inadvertent sunflowers make it look a lot taller than it is, on average, but it gives you some perspective. (Jack is 38 inches tall.)

Oh! And evidently that pair of slime bugs (probably white cabbage butterfly caterpillars, at a guess) was all that was making such short work of my two cabbages....because they seem not to be having anymore damage and (if such a thing is possible) they actually seem to be healing!








So, while the insides may be less than pretty, maybe we will get some cabbage out of this adventure after all! Hurrah!! I have read that powdering the heads with flour will discourage slugs of various kinds, and since Rod ground some to dredge rissoles in recently, we just happen to have a sample to try it with. ;) Probably best not to do it just before a major rain storm is due, though. Glue is probably less than helpful.

Well, I pooped out on walking at all yesterday. I wish I could claim that it was too hot, but basically I don't feel well. Not "sick" unwell -- just achey, light headed, and inert. I still feel that way this morning, but I am hoping that the cool weather and enough coffee will get me going this morning.

Oops -- late for work again. The guys are finally able to sleep. Did I mention that the heat finally broke?!?!?

2 comments:

  1. Oh cool! Your cabbage looks fabulous! It really looked done-for earlier, so it is especially cool that it could bounce back like this. Neat!

    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hilarious -- a few days after I took those photos, Rod saw a bird perched near the cabbage plant, just sitting mostly. But every so often it would dart into the thicket and then pop out again. That's when the cabbage started to come back. We figure it was hunting whatever was hunting my cabbage!

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!