16 November 2007

Mystery solved...

Ok, so that mysterious spider bite? It started to spread, I got a fever and swollen lymph nodes. It got serious enough that budget or no budget, it was time to see a doctor.

So I called yesterday and talked to a nurse, who sounded pretty panicky about it being facial cellulitis. (Ick!!) I trotted right in, at her request. The doctor took one look at it and grinned and said "Yup. Shingles."

Basically, I have chicken pox redux.

OK, so, no big deal. I'm not going to die or be permanently disfigured -- it's just going to be uncomfortable for a while. Five weeks, if I'm lucky, or...a long time if I'm not.

But in five weeks, at least I won't look like a contagious mess.

In the morning, uncomfortable just about describes it, except for the combing of the hair. By bedtime, though, as I get more and more tired, it gets excruciating. The most evident solution is not to get over tired, so I won't be doing much in the evenings for a bit. (Probably not much during the day, either, if I can help it.) I am feverish and tired already this morning...and cold. Very cold. If you know me, you know how weird it is for me to be cold -- when we have the house at 65 for guests, I duck outside to cool off periodically. Lately, at 63, I am shivering. Ick.

Anyway, mystery solved, but the viral part of the chicken pox is giving me a hard time and I'm not feeling terribly fluent. I'll be back when my brain doesn't feel so hot. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I'm so glad you found out what it was but so sorry that you have Chicken Pox 2.0. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

    Evie

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!