12 November 2007

Spider bite?

I haven't had a lot to say recently -- partly that was a matter of a busy Samhain weekend, but partly it was because of this.
It looks awful -- but it looked worse yesterday. I think it might be a spider bite, but I am just guessing.

It started as a mild burning sensation last week. I couldn't see anything, so I just treated it with tea tree oil and aloe gel. Thursday evening or so, it started to look kind of red, and I started to feel kind of feverish. By Sunday night, it was an angry, blistery red and it seemed to have spread into my scalp. It also seemed to have inflamed the glands in front of my ear and in my throat on the left side. The glands swelled to the size of a very, very tender painful walnut. I was starting to get worried when it seemed as though it was spreading behind my eye, as well, by bedtime. I felt feverish and awful and when I could collapse, I did.

I had intended to see urgent care this morning, but when i woke up it seemed less red and less painful, so I decided to give it a few more days.

But we are definitely vacuuming both sides of the mattress. Just in case it is a spider bite.

Ouch.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is crazy! We had a problem with spiders. They were biting just me! I woke up with about 15 bites one day, then 3 days later another 7 bites. We had the place sprayed for spiders and I swear I was cleaning up 10-15 spiders everyday for a week. GROSS!

    You should really go to the doctor, and get the place sprayed. I'm worried about you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well, we scrubbed the bedroom down thoroughly -- but that will have to do. :) It's been a crazy year for spiders....we knew about 4 or 5 Huntsmen in every room. I wasn't aware of the brown spider in the bedroom or it would have been long gone. I never did spot it as we cleaned, but I did dispose of two egg sacks. *bleah* We also swapped out the bed frame, since the one we'd had was hollow and there was no way to be absolutely sure it was spider free...

    As to a doctor, I am waiting to see if it gets worse. Doctors aren't in the budget. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and just for the record -- since this opage seems to get a lot of hits -- this turned out NOT to be a spider bite.

    It's a strange case of facial shingles ... adult chickenpox, as it were...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get too worried, but this is just a thought. Worst case senario, you might have Necrotizing Fasciitis. It ussually starts on the face, and it's the deterioration of flesh and tissue. It may start as red inflamed skin, rashes, or bruises you don't remember getting. Also the area would be very sore. It's common name is- Flesh eating Disease. Now don't panic, this is just my paranoia, but the symptoms you described are those that match up with some of it's symptoms.

    Also, I just read the last comment, you should seek other medical opinions because you MAY have been wrongly diagnosed. It doesn't seem like adult chicken pox.

    Best of luck;
    your paranoid friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am high amused to get your comment 18 months later. Whatever it was, it's long gone.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!