30 November 2007

On my way home...

I have been away from home most of the week. My friend, Mark, had surgery on Tuesday and since then, I have been staying with his teen-aged son, Matthew. Matt's a great kid and we have been just fine.

I have been astonished at how productive I have been with no distractions -- no charming budgie to enchant me away, no handsome husband to beguile me, no housework silently calling, no e-mail to answer. With so much time available I have completed 16 Yule cards and 9 scrapbook pages! Wow!!

But, you know... I have missed my guys. We usually sleep in a puppy pile in our big Queen bed. Without the hum of the CPAP and the purr of the little guy, I have slept lightly, listening to the silence.

The guys have joined me for lunch or dinner alternately while I have been away, so we have actually seen each other every day. Still, I find my mind drifting to them and wondering what they're doing more often than I expected.

I will be home tonight because our friends Chris and Kimberly will be hanging out with Matthew for the weekend, but on Sunday evening I will be back. Mark is not recovering as fast as the doctors had predicted. This doesn't surprise me as much as it does Mark. Three or four days to be walking again after spinal surgery seemed outrageously optimistic to me. But there is no telling at this point when Mark will be home.

Anyway, if I owe you an e-mail, that's why. I'll try to get to my e-mail over the weekend, but no promised. I have a charming budgie and a beguiling honey to catch up with.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it always strange to step in to someone else's life like that for a day or two? I hope you enjoy the freedom it gives you and you'll be back to your babies soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a little strange, but I have known Mark for a long time so there are no real surprises.

    I am enjoying the chance to finish up the crafting I have wanted to get to -- though getting back to my honeys on the weekends is *wonderful*!

    I hope Mark is better soon -- I can't imagine that he's enjoying the hospital much...

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!