08 January 2009

Nature walks ...

Over the last couple of days, I have had a chance to participate in Jack's playgroups.

I was delighted that they both turned out to be nature walks this week!

It delights me to see Jack spending so much of his life out and about in the woods, in every (reasonable) weather.

I will admit that without the incentive of a group, I doubt I would get him out as much as is good for both of us.

Rod is better about it than I am -- they get out to "notice" at least three or four times a week.

We do have a few friends, though, who are out and about every day that isn't horrific. I would wish for that habit -- but what with one thing and another, I'm not sure it will happen any time soon.

I remember way back when, when TJ and Corey were small. We didn't have any form of transport other than public buses.

We were out in every weather and they were strong, strong boys. They could walk fast for a mile and they could keep moving for several miles, when they needed to. I was sorry for the hardships they faced, but I was amazed at what they were capable of.

To this day, neither of them is afraid of exertion, and both, despite genes that might suggest otherwise, are fairly slender and very muscular. Jack faces the same genetic lottery with two very robust parents and a heritage of diabetes on both sides of the family, so I would like him to have the same sturdy habits.

Our genetic phenotype seems to be strongest and healthiest when we get plenty of exercise on a very frequent basis.

(Rod and I both feel strong and exhilarated when we've been working hard over a period of time. Sadly, making a living these days makes that tough.)

Of course, the playgroups aren't always out in the woods -- next week they're reading Owl at Home in preparation to a group adventure to the theatre to see the stage play, and there is some talk about seeing Stuart Little on stage the week after.

Rod has made some wonderful contacts!

I will be back at work next week, but I have a much stronger sense of what Rod and Jack do all day, This has been fun.

1 comment:

  1. All of these pictures of your two boys are so beautiful, Misti!
    Methinks I need to meander creakside tomorrow when we meet friends for sledding on the hills.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!