04 January 2009

What the Aunties started ...

The Aunties, Auntie CeCe and Auntie Dee (Jack's Goddess mothers and parental pinch hitters) invited us over for dinner last night.
As always, the company was amazing and the food was delectable. (Auntie Dee treated us to what she called "Georgie-style, African American, cuisine": chicken cacciatore!) and Auntie CeCe pulled out all the stops and made a strawberry shortcake for dessert! Yum!

Toward the end of the evening, Auntie CeCe brought out Jack's Yule present. Ed Masessa's Wandmaker Guidebook. Now obviously, I had seen this series in stores, but the price was pretty high when I saw them, and I am ashamed to admit that I saw how beautiful they were and just assumed that all the effort had been put into the graphics and the content would be very poor. That has, after all, been largely my experience.

We have found that the content is actually pretty good. The history is deep enough to trigger conversations and the cautions and what "magic" there is, isn't so far off that we can't work with it. It has turned out to be a truly excellent trigger to get Jack really interested in studying the finer details of our way of life.

The book talks about creating your own magical space to work in, and Jack and I immediately had to redo Jack's altar. The one he'd had since he was three was simply "too baby-ish". The new one still has those dreadful power cords messing up the energy, but we do what we can. He now knows more about what his altar is for and what needs to be there than I had been able to get across to him.

Next, time we sat down with the book, we learned that one must never trust store-bought oils (not an unfamiliar concept around here), so I taught Jack how to make his own oils.

We decided after some research that orange oil sounded about right for his wand, so we chopped up an orange peel while we talked and then stuffed the entire peel into an herbals bottle. Then we used an eye dropper to fill the bottle with extra-virgin olive oil, charged it, and it is now sitting in an east-facing window to absorb the energy of the sun and the moon until Imbolg.

So, we are working our way slowly through the book, going back to revisit critical points every so often. Jack is fascinated by the little pockets with 'secret" information in them, and seems to really be coming to grok that magic is 9/10 patience.

(It helps so much that the book that the Aunties [fonts of all wisdom] gave him says so!

It's after midnight. The last of the thank you notes is written, and we have learned more about magick tonight than we have in a LOOONG time. I'm exhausted, but I am also content to have been here to see the moment of inspiration that has allowed us to explore these things...

Thank you, Aunties! We love you!

3 comments:

  1. My daughter got this book last summer and we had the same experience. It triggered a whole realm of questions and I was also pleasantly surprised by the somewhat "accurate" content!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did indeed have a wonderful evening...it's nice to know that others have had the same experience. I think I'll add that to my "Books for Pagan Kids" listing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misti,
    I am so jealous. Goddess aunties and pagan nature walks?! I would love that for my kids. I may need to look for that book for my youngest. Is it part of the Wizardology series or am I thinking of the wrong thing? My daughters would LOVE to learn how to make their own oils. Does it say how to do it in the book? We have been exploring essential oils since we started making our own soap (using the cheater melt and pour bases)in November. Have you seen the book Magickal Crafts from Kristin Madden? It has some cool ideas in it. As part of our January new year prep the girls and I will be making our personal altars. My son has declined to participate in our paganism. Drats. Jack is lucky to have you as such a wonderful spiritual guide as well as a mother.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!