12 December 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like ...Solstice!

I am down to the very last few cards I need to make -- the ones I spend the most time on and probably should have started last June. I hope they're on time...or, if they're not, I hope the recipients likes them enough to forgive me.

Snow has finally fallen, and the cold has finally set in. It's so hard for me to feel ready for the holidays when the last of the hardy flowers are still hanging on. Now that we're buried in what some are calling Killer Storm 2010, I can really believe that the dark times are almost over. Good thing, too, because we're having out Yule gathering next weekend and I have a ritual to write!

I find that I am finally in the mood for the holidays. And just in time comes a recipe from Organic and Thrifty for grain free hazelnut gingerbread. Hmmmm...maybe I'll add gingerbread to the dessert table along with the pumpkin pie I've started.

Because I have to say, I feel so much better since we've gone off grains, but I do miss baking cookies and eating festive holiday desserts.


Hazelnut Gingerbread

Preheat the oven to 325. Lightly grease a pie plate or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a food processor, whip together:

3/4 c. butter at room temp
1/3 c. honey
1/6 c molasses

Add:

3 cups hazelnut (or almond) flour
1 cup arrowroot flour
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

The dough should have the texture of sugar cookie dough (if it seems to "wet", add a bit more arrowroot powder). If you wish to roll out the biscuits and cut them into circles (or any fun shape, for that matter!) I'd advise chilling it briefly to make it a little more workable. Otherwise, pour it into pie plate and smooth to even so it can be served in wedges.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until browned on top.

Doesn't that sound yummy? Wedges of gingerbread with ginger whipped cream on top and a cup of home made eggnog? And later a decadent, rich slice of pumpkin pie with maybe some mulled wine.

Yeah. I'm ready for the holidays now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ick. These are decidedly sandy. I'll have to work on them some more.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!