19 December 2008

Feeling really strange tonight

As I sit here this evening, dinner started and the first pass on tidying the kitchen complete, I feel very odd. For the first time in a very long while, there is no hurry.

Not only don't I have to get up early tomorrow (normal for a Friday night), but all of the plans for this weekend have been canceled by the "blizzard of '08". (It's looking a record for December, and there is certainly plenty of snow, but so far it doesn't seem *that* bad!)

On top of those two factors, the Winter Holiday is much longer this year than most -- almost two weeks. And this morning, my employer announced that in an effort to keep the company viable, we would be closed for business from the 5th of January to the 9th and the employees will be on furlough, making just about a three week "vacation". (One of them without pay.)

On top of the anxiety of the upcoming announcement of permanent redundancies, there is the concern about spreading three weeks' pay to cover four weeks. And the total disorientation, (pleasant though it is) of having three weeks at home. I know that in the end, the time will go very quickly. There is always a million things I want to accomplish, most of which take a back seat to reality. I probably still won't get them all done, but I haven't had 21 days in a row for my own priorities in...oh, a decade at least. Maybe two!

Oh well, Heidi and alm-Uncle beckon. Off we go for bedtime and I'm sure I'll feel much more oriented tomorrow.

Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!