13 December 2008

Scary

Yesterday was a very wild day at work.

We all knew that the auto industry was in trouble and that customers who aren't selling cars don't need to buy parts. That's a given. We also knew that layoffs were going to have to happen, since it could be a long time before the auto industry recovers enough to need a supplier that had grown with the boom times.

The layoffs (well, sort of layoffs. There is no chance of a call-back) have been happening in dribs and drabs for a couple of years now. But yesterday, the biggest layoffs ever were announced.

Scary. 400 people will be gone by the end of January.

Then again, a very generous buy-out was offered for the first 100 people to volunteer. It was generous enough that a whole lot of people jumped at it.

So... I won't know until after the holidays whether I still have a job. If not, needless to say, Chez Smiffy will have to go up for sale. (As if anyone is buying these days.)

And, just to make it all more fun ... Jack is sick. Again. Just as Rod and I finally got over the flu he passed along a couple of weeks ago, Jack developed flame red eyes and a cough and a runny nose. Rod picked up some Sambucol yesterday and we've started treating everyone, so maybe this one won't be so bad. But yuck.

I think I'll go up and make some garlands and try not to think too much.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Valerie. I am feeling more hopeful than I was on Friday. Then again. I've been bakign cookies all weekend. We'll see how I feeol tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!