15 December 2008

Yule cookie production underway

I wasn't entirely sure it would happen this year -- we got prepared and and intended to last year but the cookies never happened, so it was with some trepidation that I made up my lists this year.

But this weekend, cookie production got underway right on time and is going amazingly smoothly. On Saturday, we got the first four batches done. (Mum's amazing shortbread and an almond shortbread variant, brownies and peppermint brownies.) Those are pretty easy and gave us success to grow on.

Last night, we got four more batches done. (Gingerbread, lemon bars, old fashioned refrigerator cookies, sugar cookies, and Italian almond cookies.) Well, three are done and two needed to be chilled for hours, so they'll be baked tonight.

That leaves only five batches to go...and I think we might just get there! Of course, we did the simplest recipes first, so we may not see the amazing numbers we have so far...but this is all the fun I always thought it should be! Rod and I, baking side by side, him on his recipes and me on mine. I work more quickly and he works more carefully, so he does the fussier recipes while I crank out the mass quantities. We chat, we bump into one another as we both reach for the flour at the same time. And each of us gets a sample of each batch as it cools. (No good sendiong nasty cookies to our beloved friends!)

While I was panicking over how I was going to get the cookies done (because stale cookies are bad and the cards weren't done yet) I came across this page and this page about how to bake large numbers of cookies when you don't have a lot of time.

It seemed like it would work extremely well, and we used some of the 'six days' tips, but not the assembly line. It's too much fun to fuss over each batch and chat. Another year, though, we may well do it on an assembly line.

I think Jack's Yule is just about ready, but while Jack and I have each gotten Rod a main gift, I haven't thought of much for Rod's stocking yet. He's tough to buy for, is my sweet husband.
Oh well, I have one more week to come up with something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're happy to hear from you; thanks!